Leicester: The city that shoots for success
As you can see, many of our team joined the celebrations yesterday as Leicester City Football Club returned home; proudly presenting their Premier League trophy in a parade that swept the city in a swathe of blue and white, drawing it to a near standstill.
The Foxes – who faced relegation at the end of last season – unexpectedly powered through the ranks to win the Premier League in an achievement that surprised the world, making Leicester synonymous with achieving success against the odds.
Greeting approximately a quarter of a million people chanting and cheering in celebration (many of whom had gathered hours in advance), LCFC took to the stage at Victoria Park, with manager, Claudio Ranieri saying “I think this [the crowd] is because the team won but also they played with the heart, with the soul and I think the people understand this.”
Even Kasabian (another Leicester success story) joined in the fun, dedicating their set to “the underdogs” whose strength of character is a prime example of a city that regularly produces success stories (particularly in sports). Though (usually) content to stay out of the limelight, many of our citizens are dedicated, passionate, committed to their respective goals.
Some other famous people who call Leicester “home” include:
- Richard Attenborough (Actor and Director)
- David Attenborough (Broadcaster and Naturalist)
- Graham Chapman (Comedian and Actor)
- Engelbert Humperdinck (Singer)
- Sue Townsend (Author)
- Thomas Cook (Founder of Thomas Cook)
- Henry Walker (Founder of Walkers Crisps)
- Alastair Campbell (Journalist and Political Advisor)
- Gok Wan (Stylist and Fashion Designer)
- Gary Lineker (England International Footballer and Sports Pundit)
- Martin Johnson (CBE, Leicester and England’s World-cup winning Rugby Captain)
- Steve Redfern (Leicester Tigers Walk of Legends)
- Mark Selby (2013/14 and 2015/16 World Snooker Champion)
It’s a pretty long (and heavily condensed) list, but judging from the above, is it really any surprise that as a city we’re punching above our weight?
If you’d like to see how some Leicester businesses are showing their support, check out http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-36302394 or see some great visual breakdowns of LCFC’s “season that defied expectations”.